Sunday, March 18, 2007

It all started with a prayer book request....

And it turned into a new apostolate! I am so excited! Today I called the lady who is the head of the Altar Servers, and is the lady that asked me to get some prayer books. I told her that they arrived and that I thought it would be a good idea to have a meeting with the servers to tell them how we are going to use these. She agreed, and is allowing me to organize this meeting. More importantly, she is allowing me to meet monthly if desired with the Altar Servers to have meetings discussing changes in serving the Mass, religious education, and just having some fun (which will get them to come.)! This is exciting as this is a great way to catechize the youth beyond just First Confession and First Communion classes! Please pray for me as I try to head and organize this, as there will eminent obstacles. Also, if any of you guys have suggestions as to making this a success, or have been involved with an Altar Boy society or something please drop a note in the comment box! Thanks!


9 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

That's great! As the former AS coordinator at my parish, I really regret not having our priests speak to the altar servers on a more regular basis. I missed the chance to have them learn about a vocation to the priesthood.

PBXVI said...

May I ask why you are no longer the Altar Server coordinator? Is it just that you didn't have time? What jobs did you do? Just interested... God Bless!

EC Gefroh said...

Well, when we went back to homeschooling, the scheduling, training etc. was a little too time consuming for me. That was fine and I could have juggled everything but what bothered me a little bit was the fact that more girls were signing up to be altar servers, and not so much the boys.

Andrew said...

Mark heads the altar servers in our parish. Drop him a mail for some ideas.

PBXVI said...

Esther: Thanks! I understand, because boys don't want to do something a bunch of girls are doing generally.

Andrew: Thanks, I think I'll do that!

Matthew said...

You are doing a wonderful thing! May God bless you!

I just found out today that I will be serving at my diocese's cathedral for the Chrism Mass. We will be wearing cassock and surplice. I am so excited!

Matthew said...

What is the name of the book that started this?

PBXVI said...

The prayer book I purchased is called "Prayer Book for Young Catholics" by Fr. Robert J. Fox. Read this article: http://catholicwarrior.blogspot.com/2007/03/here-it-is-thanks-to-esther-i-went-to.html

I am glad to hear that you are going to be serving at the Chrism Mass with cassock and everything! I have only served with the cassock about twice and it was at Nicholas' (Paul VI) parish. Hopefully eventually our parish will go back to the cassock! God Bless!

Anonymous said...

I get to always wear a parish! I love it! Surplice & Cassock. May the Lord bless you all. +