Friday, May 25, 2007


I get so sick of parents not teaching their kids...


OK, get this.... I was Altar Serving at Mass last Sunday (you know this HAS to be good) and now guess what happened!!!! OK, there are in particular these two Altar server kids---one boy and one girl--- who although are nice kids, cannot seem to get things in their tiny (though thick?) heads! They are both probably around the 4th grade or so.


Boy problems: Fidgety, CANNOT hold his hands like a server should, and would even stick them in his pockets (which looks extremely ridiculous with an alb) and seems to have problems kneeling and standing. Seems to have very little religious education (same boy who wasn't sure what the Eucharist was...)


Girl problems: Fidgety, hands unstable though better than boys, and obviously has no sense of the Eucharist seemingly... So, I hand her the large bowl used for the Consecrated Hosts at Mass to place on the credence table while I am bring Father's chalice back, and when I turn around I see her with the bowl UPSIDE DOWN with her hand in the middle of it. OK, I was very mad and told her right away to put it up, though I didn't express my anger at her. After Mass I told her again. I was glad that I hadn't seen any noticeable particles in the Bowl to my memory but still the Eucharist could've fallen right on the floor.


If these kids can't get it together they need to be fired. I'm sick of parents not teaching their kids about their Faith. If these kids were taught and if people actually believed and acted accordingly none of this would be happening. Well, at least I know what to teach at our next Altar Server meeting in two weeks.... Yeah, boy do I know...

3 comments:

Matthew said...

On the bright side, it seems as if God has brought these people to you. It is now your obligation to teach them in the areas where their parents have not taught them. I'm sure that you will be able to make a difference and teach them the Faith.

Anonymous said...

put yourself in their shoes; i'm sure you were a bit clumsy at their age; be patient and take the opportunity to teach them yourself.

PBXVI said...

Seminarian Matthew: I will definitely take the opportunity to teach these kids, and I thank God that I do have a chance to help and teach them.

Anonymous,
I know Altar Servers their same age who would not do what they do and very reverent. They do not fidget all around, because they have been taught by their parents how to behave. Unfortunately this is not just being clumsy. I will try to patient, and understand that they are simply not taught how to behave. Thanks for the reminder to be patient though.


God Bless!